Friday, September 5, 2008

LITTLE BY LITTLE / PEU PAR PEU



We have been busy workers and not doing much updating, sorry.... With Physio 2x day and yoga in the late avro, its constant. This is a 6 day a week job. Then there's injections twice a day and of course got to feed those babies to feed... the stem cells of course! With all the physical work and the growth and repair with millions of stem cells growing inside of me I am very tired. So after i write this brief posting i am going for a nap!

Since i last wrote I had what they call a procedure. This was the first one. We have to go to the other older hospital where i go into the operating room and have freezing put into my lower back and then i received 3 large injections of stem cells into the Caudal region (around S5). This was the weirdest feeling.... as i thought that i wouldnt feel anything....WRONG! I felt a sharp twinge and my body spasmed big time and each time they made the injection. These cells are being placed directly on the nerve fibers and hopefully will have a more direct route to my damaged area from the bottom. Then after the procedure it was back to room where i had to lay with my bed cranked up to brick levels up and my head down laying on my back still for 4 Hours! Talk about a head rush after!!! And in this old hospital the power kept going out and aircondition was very weak and it was atleast 35C! I was sweating like crazy. I couldnt tell if it was from the head rush or the heat.
But the staff here take good care of you and they gently got me up and within 30 mins i was up and feeling a little weak but ready to go back to our room at Green Park (the new hospital). By that time it was almost 11pm.
The next day I was very tired but it was back at the physio.

Generally i am told that things take a long time and if changes are to occur they are very small and you have to make a big effort to see anything. This is very true. As i have mentioined a few days ago that i began to see some toe movement, I can now add to that with a list of other motions or contractions occuring. I can now wiggle a few more toes on the right foot, still little contractions on the left, I can bend my lower legs when lying down on the bed about 7% increase from nothing, I can Abduct left leg when straight, but not the right and hardly any adduction on both legs, i can externally rotate my right leg when bent at 90 degrees when laying down and i can somewhat hold the leg in place without any assistance (the left has some movement but it is minimal), I am getting some movement and power with my quads in both legs (however mostly with right), I am getting some of my lower abdominals working and we are working on my core strength. For those of you who know me, if this seems unreal to hear, i can tell you it feels unreal to see!
Now i am beginning to put some of these motions together and i am attempting to walk with calipers for support. We began trying to walk forward and backwards. It may seem like a simple thing but let me tell you.... it is not! The hardest part is not being able to feel the ground below you and be moving and standing!
But it feels GREAT!! Here is a little view of me above....
Thanks for watching everybody. More stuff later.
Kev

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow kev... truely exciting and thanks so much for updating this even tho youve been really busy and tired and stuff....

I was wondering about whether it really was controlled movements with ur toes but now I am totally excited with some new movments!!!

WOOOHOOO!!!

I look forward to the next installment... know that our thoughts and prayers are with you... and my parents are always asking how things are going as well...

until next time....