Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Struggle for Success

For anyone who has ever thought about doing this..... lets just say its not easy and success goes up and comes back and there are so many factors that impact on what happens. But still its all good mate! I guess i could describe the changes leading to improvement like going 3 steps forward and then 2 steps backwards. Some days are good and then some days are not so good. Then things will change again and improve more.
In my case the last week has been a bit of a battle with having an UTI which has delayed my first major procedure of a lumbar puncture almost a week. I am not sure when and if this will occur? Can you believe it, i am actually looking forward to having a lumbar puncture.....! This is a very painful event which can often leave one with a headache and nausea, or worse! However, with this procedure i was told that it may bring about a big change in function because it will bring in large amounts of stems directly into the spinal fluid in the spinal cord and go towards the injured site.

My body has continued to make small changes and i am definately getting stronger in the core of my body. I am continuing along the same direction but today I tried something new to advance to the next level. This next step involves walking without lateral support between my calipers and crutches.... this was extremely difficult on the balancing act..... but i did do some very small steps for a short distance inbetween the parallel bars. Before the previous week i was using the 'walkabout' which is a device that attaches to the calipers to help with movement in a foreward motion and helps with holding the calipers together to prevent lateral and medial motion and me swaying sideways and falling over. Last week i had been using the walker without the 'walkabout' piece to practice walking and learning to balance side ways. So now i am advancing to the next level and stepping away from the walker and going to the crutches. Its going to be a long journey for this.....
The more my little babies get into me and start working the more my body heals! Go baby stem cells and Go Baby Steps Go!!!
I am going to say see later now, as i need a nap after that big Physio session....Whew!
take care

5 comments:

Mere said...

Now you have brought me to tears - happy tears of joy! Oh darlin' I am so happy for you - and for our girls who can't wait to see it for themselves. Go Kev Go!

Unknown said...

I feel like joining the Kev stem cell cheer squad... GO KEVS STEMIES GO!!

Ernemegildo said...

Mon cher Kevin, content de lire ton récit et de savoir que tu fais des progrès, même s'il faut parfois faire marche arrière pour mieux revenir de l'avant. Continue de nous raconter dans les détails cette fabuleuse aventure. Combien de temps resteras-tu encore en Inde? On pense à toi fort, Christian, with love from Montréal

sessions said...

go Kev, all in a days work for you buddy, keep grinding away,

Unknown said...

Hey there Kevvie baby, keep up the good work! Glad to hear it. Chin up, and keep moving forwards.
Steven