Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Slacker is Back

I haven't been writing much cause i have been very busy.... and that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!! Since i last wrote I have had two procedures, one each week. The first one was an easy one where by I stayed in the same hospital and return to your room to only lay still for one hour on your back. The procedure is a Deep Spinal Muscular injection (2) (DSM) which are injected, one on either side of your spinal cord and near to the level of my injury. At this time Ashish wishes and so do I, to concentrate on focusing on the abdominal area and help the return of my bladder function. Usually, i don't feel much of a change other than tightening and a deep heavy feeling in my core and legs at the time of the procedure. I then wait a day or less and i begin to notice changes. In this case, it was the same and the next day i had much tighter abdominals and as time is passing here I am noticing my awareness of wanting to urinate has changed and I definately know when i have to go to the toilet. AREN'T YOU GLAD I TOLD YOU THAT!!
Physiotherapy continues twice a day and my movements continue to strengthen little by little... good thing I am a patient person.......

At the end of this week I was told that I will have another procedure at the beginning of the week. The next procedure is the "3 day" with an epidural catheter put into your spine. Generally, the injections are not given at T5 (which is, or i should say was, my level of injury, as this is at the level of important organs, such as your heart innervation.. Just of minor importance.... Of course we don't want anything going wrong with that
, right?
Then after the first series of injections I was taken back to the room and had to lie on my back for 4 hours with my feet up and head down and then after the 4 hours receiving another series of injections into the catheter and lying on my right side for 2 more hours before being allowed to get up. Getting up after laying for 6 hours is tricky, but getting up after recieving stem cells by the bucket load and having your head down and feet up is another thing!!!!!! Oooooooh la la! No wonder they check your BP and HR often. But all was well with me. The only thing that kept my sanity was the idiot box and movies.

The process continued with more injections over the next 2 days and more laying in bed with the feet up and head down. I survived the procedures and now we will wait and see what changes will occur..... After the last few days I now feel a bit sore and tired as I know that the injection of stem cells take a lot of energy.

Further updates will come when some changes occur. I now have 11 days left before I return home.

No comments: